Waylande Gregory (1905-1971)

 

 

 

 

IMG_7031

IMG_7032

IMG_7033

IMG_7034

IMG_7038Waylande Gregory (1905-1971). Stallion, 1936. 24.5 inches high; 23 inches long; 5.5 inches wide. Hand tooled copper sheeting over composite. Original vanished patina. Two small areas of very minor damage on ear and neck. This piece is an original, not part of an edition or a cast. The modest materials employed reflect the necessity for economical practices in art making during The Great Depression: casting a bronze of this size would have been prohibitively expensive.

Price on request

Biography:

Born Baxter Springs, June 13, 1905; d. Elizabeth, NJ, August 18, 1971. Sculptor. Designer. Craftsman. Studied at Pittsburg State Teachers College then, in 1922, enrolled in the Kansas City Art Institute. Within a few months Gregory accepted a position with the McCartney Ornamental Plastering Company. Though still very young, Gregory was soon assigned his first major project: the design and casting of architectural ornaments for Strong Hall, the administration building at the University of Kansas, Lawrence. Gregory next found his way to the Chicago Art Institute where he came under the influence of historian-sculptor Loredo Taft and began to work in marble, bronze, and ceramics. Ceramics became Gregory’s primary medium. He apprenticed himself to the Midland Terra Cotta Company in Cicero, Illinois, then enrolled at the University of Kansas City to study chemistry, geology, and mineralogy. Before embarking on his career as a ceramic sculptor, however, in 1928 he went as artist-designer to the Cowan Art Pottery Studio in Rocky River, Ohio. When the Cowan Studio closed in December 1931 Gregory went to the Cranbrook Academy of Art as a fellow-in-residence. There he experimented with coloring clay by means of minerals. In 1932 he established his own studio in Bound Brook, NJ, and turned his attention to creating ton-size, ceramic statuary. Gregory created a terra-cotta work, “R.F.D.” for the Columbus Post Office in 1940. Concern that the weight of the installation would render the wall structurally unsound led to the work being crated and stored. It is now displayed in the Columbus Community Building. Wrote for national magazines, produced 20 television shows for NBC, and directed an art center. Taught at Cooper Union Night School, the Berkshire Art Center in Middlefield, MA, and the Colorado Springs Fine Arts Center.
Source:
AWARDS:
1st prize, Ceramic Sculpture, Cleveland Museum of Art, 1929; 1st prize, Cleveland Museum of Art, 1931; Honorable mention, Cleveland Museum of Art, 1933; Sculpture Award, Annual Exhibition of American Painting & Sculpture, Art Institute of Chicago, 1933; 1st prize, Ceramic Sculpture and, Robineau Memorial Ceramic Exhibition, Syracuse Museum of Fine Arts, 1933.COLLECTIONS:
Chicago Theological Seminary; DC Municipal Building; University of Chicago; Hotel President, Kansas City; Cleveland Museum of Art; Everson Museum of Art; Dayton Art Institute; Cranbrook Foundation: Birmingham Museum of Art; New Jersey State Museum; Renwick Gallery; Newark Museum; Whitney Museum; Spencer Museum of Art.MEMBERSHIPS:
National Sculpture Society, NY; Boston Society of Arts & Crafts; New York Society of Craftsmen; American Guild of Artists & Craftsmen; American Artists Professional League.Exhibition: Waylande Gregory: Art Deco Ceramics and the Atomic Impulse, 2013