Peter Palffy (1899-1987)
Peter Palffy (1899-1987). Musicians, 1953. Oil on masonite panel, measures 60 x 80 cm or approximately 23.5 x 31.5 inches. Measures 30.5 x 38.5 inches in a vintage Heydenryk frame that is original to the piece. The composition process involves heavy black paint over a background of thin, semi-transparent washes. No damage or restoration. All original condition. Signed and dated lower left.
Pálffy is a member of the international Avantgarde. His creations cover the entire gamut from Expressionist via Cubist to Abstract efforts. In 1987, Kunsthandel Hieke dedicated a personal exhibition to this almost forgotten artist.
He studied at the Academy of Fine Arts in Munich from 1921 to 1923 and lived in Paris from 1924 to 1933. Due to his links to the “ecole de Paris” and his involvement in international art events, he was able to exhibit at the Myrbor Gallery (Mme. Cuttoli, a friend of Picasso’s) as part of a group exhibition as early as 1928. Between 1933 and 1945, he worked in Slovakia, keeping close contact with the Hungarian Avantgarde. After the Second World War, Pálffy lived in Kitzbühel and then in Vienna until 1962.
In 1949, he became a member of the Austrian “Art Club”, a forward-looking group of artists with an international focus, whose significance is comparable to that of the Secession at the turn of the century. After the dissolution of the “Art Club” in 1960, he joined the artists’ association “Der Kreis [The Circle]”.